Sustainable Eco Tourism Policies and Practices
As an Eco-lodge located in a World Heritage site such as the Western Ghats, we at The Hermitage believe that it is imperative to help protect and preserve this heritage by doing the following:
- Using natural materials in all construction and adopting aesthetic designs suitable to the environment. To use materials that are abundantly available, such as mud, wood sourced from sustainable plantations, and the use of recycled material where possible, such as roofing tiles.
- Providing guests with information about the local environment and culture, and encouraging low-impact enjoyment of the area.
- Discouraging the use of plastic, and handling waste disposal efficiently.
- Creating a positive impact in the local economy by providing employment to members of the local communities,(especially the economically deprived, and women), and by sourcing products and purchasing locally grown food whenever possible.
- Use home grown organic fruits and vegetables as much as possible, and composting of organic wastes for use on the farm.
- Utilising recycled / hand made paper wherever possible, and especially for marketing purposes.
- Minimise the negative impact on the environment by using existing roads and paths instead of creating new ones.